Friday, September 09, 2005

September 9th

It is Friday morning, and i am still sitting in my pajamas, writing here, try ing to stay somewhat current, listening to the playlist for Chrystal, and scanning the Ebay acutions looking for old 16mm films for an old projector. We were thinking of having a party, pulling out the film projector and showing the film on the barn. If i could only find a complete reel set of Bedknobs and Broomsticks! I found the soccer match in 8mm but not 16. so if anyone finds one at a decent price pick it up and i'll pay you back!

Classes are going better. I still have one clss that just doesn't speak. grr..
but all in all things are good.

I read a challenge this week on an LDS site i help to moderate and it said, to genuinely pray to have the spirit with you, to make a concerted effort with it and see what happened. and maybe it's propoganda, but i have noticed a difference this week, just a bit more peaceful. a little less angry, or worried or stressful, more grateful.
For some reason I feel more inspired to do things for my work, for my writing and for figuring things out for us, for classes, for everything else. That somehow, I dont know how or why or in what ways yet, everything is going to be ok.

(listening to RENT's La Vie Boeheme!)

Wednesday rylan gave me a terrible fright. i came home from work, had dinner ready. he was due to be home about 5:30 from practice. i waited. and waited.. and waited.. around 6:48 i finally jumped in the car and went off to look for him. i actually ended up passing him on his way home. his coach and he just ende dup talking and they lost track of time. I was so upset. not mad, just upset that he didn't call and let me know he was so late.. when he talked to his coach that night (yes, he talks to his coach at least once, somtimes twice a day) rylan gave me the phone.. and the coach said "whatever it takes to make you happy.." as in they will call if they are late.. all of that.. gave him a gentle lashing, jesting lashing.. and that maybe he should have called his own wife and let her know that he woudl be late. wives like that, cause you know we worry.. but their apologies meant a lot...

I found an old tape made by a guy who i knew in high school. I guess we were dating but I didn't know until afterwards. (I was a bit in the awkward oblivious stage in high school) and was listening to it. He is the one who introduced me to Janice Joplin, the Cheiftains (before I knew who they were, i just knew their voices disembodied from any names..). On it is this piece of African music, in a language i dont understand but i have to say, it gives me chills and thrills me to the bone every time i hear it. I just love it. it wakes up something in me that i dont know the name of yet but it is something very integral. i get the same feelings when i hear good international music. not the cheesey stuff, but good stuff.. authentic music. It is followed by a song called 'my husband's got no courage in him..' i'll let you figure out what that one's about.

So I keep talking about Chrystals' play list.. so here you go.

Moving Right Along – Kermit and Fozzie Muppet.
Lumberjack Song – Monty Python.
Defying Gravity – From the Wicked Soundtrack.
I Say a Little Prayer for you – My Best Friend’s Wedding.
Send me On my Way – Rusted Root. Gladiator Movie Quote –
Cottleston Pie – Rowlf The Dog (Muppets)
La Vie Boheme – RENT –
Faces La La La (I wish that I knew what I know now..) - i wish that i knew what i know now
Drum Trip – Rusted root –
Come On Eileen – Save Ferris.
African Alphabet – Kermit and an African Choir from Sesame Street – No Rain – Blind Melon –
We Are Family – Sister Sledge
The Origin of Love – Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Pure Imagination – Willy Wonka, Sung by Gene wilder
Good Mother – Jann Arden –.
Everybody Rejoice – The Wiz,
The Lottery Song – Fat Handsome. Kung fu Fighting – Jefferson Airplane
Sister Song – Rachel Sage and Ani DiFranco –
Bring on the Men – Linda Eder from Jekyll and Hyde
I cover the Waterfront – from Joe Vs. the Volcano
the Cowboy Song – Tom Hanks from Joe vs. the Volcano
Man of La Mancha – Linda eder –
Wheels of a Dream – from Ragtime
Ain’t no Mountain High Enough – from Step-Mom, I don’t know the original artists.. – The Highwayman – put to music by Loreena Mckennitt, but it’s an actual old poem
Handel’s Dream – Michael Mclean, from the Forgotten Carols
I’d like to visit the moon – Ernie from sesame Street
Harriet – Mike Myers from So I married an Axe Murderer
Natural Blues – Moby Sirens Singing – Oh Brother Where Art Thou
Istanbul – They Might Be Giants
You’ve got a Friend in Me – toy Story, Randy Newman
Inspiration – Fat Handsome –
One by One – The (Broadway) Lion King Soundtrack
Animal House Quote pep Talks –
Peace Train – Natalie Merchant –
One Song Glory – RENT –
Elmer Fudd sings Fire – robin Williams –
Conjunction Junction – School House Rocks, new Version
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life – Eric Idle from Monty Python –
This Year’s Love – David Gray – live somewhere in ireland.

i listen to it so much because it makes me smile, it give me hope and inspiration. its long cause she and her mom were driving to california from pa. so i figured i'd give her a lot to listen to...
i challenge you to listen to any one of these songs or tracks and not be movedb y them, not be affected by them. especially any of the lion king on broadway - the non disney-esque pieces. listen tot hemand not get goosebumps, or hold your breath..

so random question? what are the opinons of anyone reading this about the problem witheducation now? a re private schools the answer? charter schools? homeschooling? being in the education field and teaching at two colleges, is ee the problems coming up. ihad a student (no word of lie i swear!) who didn't know he was supposed to use a paragraph when he wrote. it hink i actualyl asked him "Where did you come from?!" just shocked that he could actually get to a college and not know that.
how do we keep the standards up for students to actually try, to be responsible, but also like anythign else, deal with the fact that not everyone is cut out for college. just like we aren't all made to be mathematicians, postal workers, or brick layers, not everyone is made or geared to be in college and academia. so how do we deal with it, and not lower the standards, but then not make it something for only the elite and go back a few hundred years in educational rights for everyone...? what are your plans for your children? i have a colleague who says when/if he has kids, they're being homeschooled. I figure its not because he's a crazy psycho person, but because the schools are falling short on their jobs...
just a random question for anyone.. for everyone..
have a brilliant day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home